Shell scraps plans to develop controversial Cambo oil field

Business

Oil giant Shell has scrapped plans to develop the controversial Cambo oil field in the North Sea.

The project has become a focal point for campaigners seeking to stop the development of new oil and gas resources as Britain seeks to become a net zero carbon economy by 2050.

Greenpeace voiced hope that Shell’s decision on the oil field off the Shetland isles – which is majority-owned by private equity backed firm Siccar Point – would prove a “death blow” for its development.

Activists from Friends of the Earth during a demonstration calling for an end to all new oil and gas projects in the North Sea, starting with the proposed Cambo oil field, outside the UK Government's Cop26 hub during the Cop26 summit in Glasgow. Picture date: Sunday November 7, 2021.
Image:
Friends of the Earth welcomed the decision

The prospect of the UK developing the site had attracted particular scrutiny in the run-up to the COP26 climate change conference on Glasgow.

Shell said in a statement that following “comprehensive screening” it had “concluded the economic case for investment in this project is not strong enough at this time, as well as having the potential for delays”.

Siccar Point, which co-owns the field with Shell, confirmed in a separate statement that “Shell has taken the decision to not progress its investment at this stage”.

“Cambo remains critical to the UK’s energy security and economy,” Siccar Point Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Roger
said.

More from Business

“Whilst we are disappointed at Shell’s change of position… we will continue to engage with the UK government and wider stakeholders on the future development of Cambo.”

Activists campaigning against the development of the oil field have pointed to a report by the International Energy Agency (IEA) saying that no new oil and gas projects should be developed in order to restrict global warming to 1.5C.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Climate: Cambo oil field ‘total hypocrisy’

But the UK government has highlighted the importance of energy security and during COP26 declined to join an alliance of countries pledging to stop new oil and gas developments on their territory.

In August, Scotland’s first minister Nicola Sturgeon called on Boris Johnson to “reassess” the licence for Cambo given the “severity of the climate emergency we now face”.

Philip Evans, oil campaigner at Greenpeace UK, said following Shell’s decision to pull out: “This really should be the deathblow for Cambo.

“With yet another key player turning its back on the scheme the government is cutting an increasingly lonely figure with their continued support for the oil field.”

Friends of the Earth – which won a climate court case against Shell in the Netherlands earlier this year – welcomed the move.

“The future of the project is now in serious doubt – as it should be,” it said on Twitter.

“There is no need for a new oil field during a climate crisis.”

Cambo is 30% owned by Shell and 70% by Siccar Point.

According to Siccar Point, it could produce the equivalent of up to 170 million barrels of oil and 53.5 billion cubic feet of gas over 25 years.

It was unclear whether the field could be developed without Shell’s support.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Expedition 67 Crew Conducts Experiments Aboard ISS That Could Benefit Astronauts, Humans on Earth
3 takeaways from the Investing Club’s ‘Morning Meeting’ on Friday
New Study Might Lead to New Therapeutic Approach for Treating Alzheimer’s Disease
Saudi Aramco profit surges 90% in second quarter amid energy price boom
Who is the suspect in Salman Rushdie attack? What we know so far

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.